Vegetable Gardening Forum

Go Back   Vegetable Gardening Forum > Dig It Over > Down On The Allotment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Pea Shoot

craig83 is on a distinguished road
Default Allotment theft

Persistent vandalism of sheds and green houses, 3 break ins in week, lawn mowers, strimmers etc stolen. First occasion 50 sheds locks were cut by bolt cutters. So far I have had to repair my green house 3 or 4 times due to vanelism. Site is un secure, fences are inadequate and our town council just don't seem to be interested. They are only interested in the annual rent collections and then they are on the ball!!! I and many of the other allotment holders are cheesed off!

Does anyone else have the same problem?
Old 24-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Red Hot Chilli Pepper

airconednightmare is on a distinguished road

allotments in dundee are quite well protected but don't park your car anywhere other than outside a police station!

another member on here had his onion setts stolen
Old 29-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Tumbling Tomato

Lez is on a distinguished road

My thoughts are with you pea shoot. I have suffered aswell with smashed glass and had 3 trays of 40 module onion setts stolen. We have frequent visitors who have helped themselves to cabbage, carrots etc which is annoying but not to bad. I remember a woman used to come to the lotties on a sunday morning to pick a few runners etc and thinking nothing of it until I mentioned to one holder that I'd seen his sister picking runners when he told me he did not have a sister and this person had been helping herself for weeks. I have reinforced the locks on my shed but it's only a deterrent if they are determined they will break in and are so open about it. I hope the noise made doing it will alert some one. some on our site leave the gate open and I have had a run in with quite a few to say shut the gate even if they are on site as they don't see whats happening at the bottom end. One fellow on our site had 600 worth of generator stolen along with other bits. They had actually cut a hole in the fence. some remarked they seen two people with bolt croppers but ignored it. What a burke.I think if we catch them slow roasting over an open barbie should do the trick. I have spoken to the police and they made anote. It seems to me if they can't deal with it from their car then they can't be bothered. Anyway chin up and happy gardening.
Old 16-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Runner Bean

paul is on a distinguished road

we always at the start of summer have a little gang come through and have a poke about. we never leave anything that can't be replaced at a cheap cost. we do have a solid metal shed that the expensive stuff is kept and so far has never been touched. apart from leaving landmines as a welcome mat for the thieves we have learned to live with them. there's nothing much else that we can do i'm afraid