Vegetable Gardening Forum

Go Back   Vegetable Gardening Forum > Wild And Free > Food From The Wild Harvest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Experienced Gardener / Administrator
Forum Admin

Lesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fuchsia Jam

I have berries on my fuchsia plants and I am really surprised to find that you can make jam with them.

Fuchsia Jam

1 and a half pound of ripe fuchsia berries
1lb sugar
Juice of half a lemon
2 tablespoons of water or apple juice

Put the sugar and water in a pan over a low heat until the sugar dissolves. Let this cool. Add the washed berries and lemon juice. Bring to the boil and then boil rapidly until setting point is reached. Pour into warmed jars.
Old 18-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Red Hot Chilli Pepper

runnerbean is on a distinguished road

Thanks Lesley, I will have a go.
Old 18-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Pea Shoot

magpie1942 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Glad to meet you all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley Jay View Post
I have berries on my fuchsia plants and I am really surprised to find that you can make jam with them.

Fuchsia Jam

1 and a half pound of ripe fuchsia berries
1lb sugar
Juice of half a lemon
2 tablespoons of water or apple juice

Put the sugar and water in a pan over a low heat until the sugar dissolves. Let this cool. Add the washed berries and lemon juice. Bring to the boil and then boil rapidly until setting point is reached. Pour into warmed jars.
Hi, Love the recipe.look foreward to joining the site again.Very interesting ideas and tips.Down to earth too. Magpie1942
Old 18-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Forum Admin

Lesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Magpie! Welcome to our forum!! Glad you like the place!!
Old 18-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Sugar Snap Pea

cajary is on a distinguished road

How do you get 1 and1/2 pounds of berries? I've got loads of fuschias but I dead-head like crazy. Should I stop now and let them set seed?
Old 18-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Forum Admin

Oh! Blimey!! I never realised that I was supposed to dead head fuchsia's. Growing vegetables is what I love - I'm hopeless on flowers!
Old 18-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Sugar Snap Pea

cajary is on a distinguished road

Well, I look after the grounds(hanging baskets etc.) In a large pub. If you don't dead-head the fuschias they look very tired very quickly. I like to keep them going until the winter baskets arrive. I suppose I do it automatically in my own garden when I'm doing our hanging baskets and ground shrubs. My MBH calls it "pottering"
Old 03-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Pea Shoot

susan is on a distinguished road

Hi Lesley jay, this is amazing, dare i ask if you have tried it and if so is there a comparable taste? my fushias are covered. Whilst we are on the subject of making the most of these gifts from our flowers, a friend of mine told me about poor-mans capers, she collects the small still green seeds of her nasturtium plants each day and drops them in a jar of cheap vineger. She has them on salads through the year. Once again I'd love to know about the jam. Many thanks Sue

Tags
fushia berries