Vegetable Gardening Forum

Go Back   Vegetable Gardening Forum > Dig It Over > Greenhouses and Polytunnels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Purple Sprouting Broccoli

SmileySue is on a distinguished road
Default Cheap Greenhouses!

Anyone know where I can get a cheap greenhouse with base? It needs to be no bigger than 6 x 6..

thanks
Old 13-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Aubergine

Matt_B is on a distinguished road
Default Second Hand - Local Paper

My mum spotted one in the local newspaper for free, just had to be dismantled and transported, which myself and my dad did with ease.

Guess it depends if you have a van available and a couple of bodies to dismantle, but can't get much cheaper than that
Old 13-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Pea Shoot

tracy d is on a distinguished road

check out the freecycle website, they have all sorts of things to give and swap, its really good, go to your local garden centre see if they have any damaged ones, i got one 6x6 and the base really cheap, all i had to do was replace some of the glass. My local window company got me the glass for next to nothing. Bit cheeky i know but it does work
Old 14-05-2008, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the replies..

I have found one 6 x 6 inc base for 189 delivered....I think I will get that.
Old 14-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Experienced Gardener / Administrator
Forum Admin

Lesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond reputeLesley Jay has a reputation beyond repute

That is a really good price Sue. I've Googled and I can't find anything.
Old 14-05-2008, 04:39 PM

I got it from greenhousewarehouse.co.uk...it was on sale, and it said 3 in stock when I ordered it this afternoon. It's polycarbonate, but I figured that was the best for me as there are quite a few balls come flying over our hedges, and also my stepson's ball control is not that great either!

Can't wait! Am very excited.....but is it too late to start growing things in it?
Old 23-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Pea Shoot

1969are is on a distinguished road
Default 6*4 Greenhouse

I purchased a 6x4 greenhouse via Wilko.co.uk for 225 but beware, its actually shipped by Waltons and got worst customer service ever...6 weeks for missing part then finally sent me another and tried to harge me for 2.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:59 PM
Baby Sweetcorn

Adam Moran is on a distinguished road

I know you have one now but try ebay. There's always loads on there and VERY cheap.
Old 14-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Runner Bean

malcolmx is on a distinguished road

you can plant a lot of things now lettuce in pots spring onions cucumbers (outdoor variety) coleus and as soon as they are in the shops daffodils for xmas
also potatoes for xmas
and you could start some perrennials for flower next year

pot on any strawberry runners and put them in to give a good boost
you ghse will heat up and down a lot in the summer so water early and late and water the floor in the mornings
Old 03-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Pea Shoot

jakegreen is on a distinguished road

I know this thread has been up for a while, but I would like to recommend visiting a few blogs as a decent resource for information to gather before buying. Their are a lot of cheap products out there and you should no what your buying so you don't waist money.
Old 13-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Pea Shoot

Mister Beans is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegreen View Post
I know this thread has been up for a while, but I would like to recommend visiting a few blogs as a decent resource for information to gather before buying. Their are a lot of cheap products out there and you should no what your buying so you don't waist money.
I've been looking at a Gardman or maybe a Halls Popular. Have a look at this blog: The Garden Greenhouse Blog — Green Greenhouses
Old 13-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Baby Sweetcorn

Pot man UK is on a distinguished road

I found a cheap polly tunnel on ebay only around 70, no base but it is suprisingly good for the money!
Old 13-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Red Hot Chilli Pepper

airconednightmare is on a distinguished road

i had one of those 'suprisingly good' tunnels, it seemed quite flimsy so a beefed it up with wooden battons etc and burried a good 18" of material all round. i found it very hard to get the polly to put tight and it didn't stay that way. i spent a year and a half patching it up every time there was a decent gust of wind. it might be ok in very sheltered spot but no good for costal scotland...

oh and be aware that polly isn't a replacement for glass it doesn't retain the heat anywhere near as well.
Old 16-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Banned

rosa15 is on a distinguished road

So back to it, if you want a greenhouse that is not going to break the budget chances are you are going to need to build it yourself. This can be done quite easily with the right plans or idea. And if well thought out, planned and executed, can be quite simple and rewarding.

There are a number of different greenhouse materials that can be used to make a cheap and simple greenhouse. Keep in mind that it is the cost of these materials that will determine the final price of your Greenhouse.

It is through some savvy shopping practices that will determine the size of the greenhouse that can be made. The less you spend the more you can buy or acquire. And the more you acquire the bigger the build.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Pea Shoot

sandyLampert is on a distinguished road

I think you might be best looking on ebay. You should be able to select the option pick ups only for something in your area.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:18 AM
Pea Shoot

Mister Beans is on a distinguished road

There's some cheap enough greenhouses around at the moment. Some are best avoided though, like the Gardman, Waltons and Lacewing models which fellow allotment plot holder friends have had bad experiences with. I've seen some of the Palram, GrowMaster and Vitavia greenhouses and they're all perfect for allotment use and can come with poly glazing which is often now required by councils. Have a butchers at some of these greenhouses for sale that I've seen. Pretty decent collection there.

Last edited by Mister Beans; 13-06-2017 at 12:12 PM..