Vegetable Gardening Forum

Go Back   Vegetable Gardening Forum > Dig It Over > Greenhouses and Polytunnels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Red Hot Chilli Pepper

airconednightmare is on a distinguished road
Default vintage lean to wooden framed glass house

having finished college i've been lucky enough to get the chance to work in one of these at cambo estate in fife. i've always had a thing for garden history having studied history before horticulture and especially victorian glass structures (kinda sad but meh).

i'm split between being saddened at the state of disrepair of the structure, it has lots of glass missing, areas of rotten wood, the heating has broken etc and being very happy to have the opportunity to see and work in an 'old school' glasshouse
Old 20-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Red Hot Chilli Pepper

well i think this is good news all round, seems we are might be getting lottery funding to restore the glasshouses and once they have been made safe the public will be allowed to walk round them

now i just need to win the lottery and buy my own 2 acre walled garden with a glass house on the south facing side and a river through the middle
Old 20-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Red Hot Chilli Pepper

just a wee update, funding is in place, plans have been made, and work has started on fixing the main 'range' of glasshouses which is made up of, a vine house, a peach & vine house, a foliage house and one we use for tomatoes & courgettes & squash (maybe a melon house while it still had heating?)

and i've found my camera so pics will follow when i find the cable to connect it to the computer
Old 20-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Red Hot Chilli Pepper

and of any other glasshouse history geeks (no know it's unlikely) the coal fired boilers which would have heated them where sold on the basis of how many feet of 4" tube they could heat, with no reference to how much fuel it would require to keep the tube at say stove house temps during winter...a case of 'if sir has to ask, sir can't afford it' lols

and the website for the only company that still makes, maintains and restores glasshouses in a 100% faithful way Glasshouses London | Glasshouses | Glasshouses Horsham | Glasshouses UK | Glasshouses Sussex the ones at cambo would never have looked as nice as their work though, f&p was for the very best of the best and it still is...note how they don't mention anything about prices

Last edited by airconednightmare; 20-09-2012 at 09:57 PM..
Old 03-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Red Hot Chilli Pepper

as promised, few photos

and some of the garden/plants

Cosmos bipinnatus 'Versailles Tetra' (pink) and 'Purity' (white) in front of Ricinus communis

Argyranthemum frutescens

Rudbeckia hirta 'Cherry Brandy'

Salvia coccinea 'Forest Fire' and the grass is stipa tenuissima syn.tenuifolia

'annual borders', everything will be taken out, including the persicaria at the front of the first pic, and replaced with bulbs etc before it's replanted next year

from the late season borders pics taken today (after a storm, and nothing has been staked)

Origanum laevigatum 'Herrenhausen'

Eupatorium purpureum with butterflies

Last edited by airconednightmare; 03-10-2012 at 09:35 PM..
Old 03-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Red Hot Chilli Pepper

oh and any fans of 'willow print' might like this
Old 05-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Red Hot Chilli Pepper

and the best thing since sliced bread is you can have a free holiday at this place if you don't mind doing a bit of gardening or cooking/cleaning etc for a few days a week and you get to stay in a 19th century country house with a 2 acre walled garden and a path to the sea/beach
Old 11-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Red Hot Chilli Pepper

this is turning into a wee blog, rather than just a tread about a glasshouse, but anyhow, the wee wood stove in the potting shed was going today and oh my that was nice, get a heat back in you and dry your gloves etc after a hard few hours in the wind, cold, wet etc

and i get to drive a wee tractor about reversing a trailer is a bit tricky but kinda fun once you get the hang of it
Old 07-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Red Hot Chilli Pepper

just a wee update, annual borders and potager are being cleared ready for spring bedding and bulbs, the late interest stuff is still looking good (i'll try and find time to take pics tomorrow ) also been pruning a rather neglected prunus cerasifera nigra hedge, it is \/ rather than /\ shaped....not a good start.....
Old 13-06-2017, 12:17 PM
Pea Shoot

Mister Beans is on a distinguished road

It'd be good to see a pic or two of the actual greenhouse. I know the trend these days tends to be towards using aluminium greenhouses, rather than timber. But I can't help but favour a nice timber greenhouse. They seem to have a certain warmth and earthy charm that you just don't get with metal greenhouses. Of all the wooden greenhouses that I've seen recently I tend to favour, probably because of a lack of space, some of the much smaller 4ft wide models that are around at the moment. Once I've saved a bit of dough I might well be in the market !