Vegetable Gardening Forum

Go Back   Vegetable Gardening Forum > Dig It Over > Pests and Diseases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Gardener's Delight

Hammer is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Sick Tree - Help Needed.

I have a sick tree and could do with some help urgently.

I have had this tree which i believe is a Juniper but what variety etc i have no idea and have been unable to find out on the internet. I have the tree about eight years and it has always been fine and healthy and came through some very severe winters -20 at one point, but in the last few weeks it is looking decidedly unwell. The needles started to turn brown and die, two weeks ago i cut away all the dead foliage and re-potted it in a larger pot and fed it with a general purpose fertilizer plus a little fish blood and bone meal mix.
All to no avail as it continues to deteriorate, i have examined it for bugs etc and can see no sign nor any obvious fungal attack. The only thing i have noticed that whereas in past years the bark has turned a shiney purple/reddish brown in summer and sap emerges from carcks as it sheds the older bark, this year the bark is somewhat grey and dull looking and although 'sticky' the sap that can be seen in the photos is whiteish grey and solidified.
I bought this tree from a local garden centre where i had seen it for a few years and almost felt sorry for it as it was quite unusual and attractive but nobody ever bought it
Any help would be greatly appreciated as i want to save it (the garden centre can't help)

photos;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo File 074.jpg (97.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Photo File 075.jpg (100.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Photo File 076.jpg (98.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Photo File 077.jpg (104.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Photo File 078.jpg (101.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 26-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Red Hot Chilli Pepper

airconednightmare is on a distinguished road

hey hammer, can't really help with the problem, but i'm pretty sure that's not juniper, it looks more like some kind of spruce of fir, then again i've never been that good with conifers...
Old 29-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Gardener's Delight

Well aircon, you are probably right, after more research it seems it may be a weeping cedar (of course what it was grafted onto may be a juniper trunk?) who knows.
anyway i cut away more dead/brown foliage yesterday and fed with a liquid seaweed and gave it a thorough foliar feed of miracle gro as advised by a good garden centre, it seems too much water can cause this kind of thing as well as nutrient defficiencies, much to my surprise they say they never water their fir/cedar type trees except in very extreme drought conditions which as you may imagine are pretty rare here in Ireland, having said that it has been a very dry summer here so far but we had a wet spring and too much water does more damage than too little is their advice.
No more i can do except wait, thanks for your reply and hope all is well with you.
Regards
Old 14-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Gardener's Delight

Just an update on the Cedar Tree (?), all now seems well, no further browning of the foliage and it is generally looking healthiier. I have a ladybird living in it now and she is munching away on something but i can't see any bugs at all on it, although there are red mites around that area of the garden there are none on the tree. The only thing is that i don't know whether it was the foliar feeds or not watering that have solved the problem or perhaps it was a combination of the two. We have had no rain for 10 days now and temperatures in the 70's with strong sunlight every day and i have given it very little water (perhaps half a gallon twice over the ten days and that was the water from the foliar wash that i gave it. Also the sap is now golden brown and clear whereas it was whitish/grey before.
All's well that ends better.

Last edited by Hammer; 14-07-2013 at 11:03 PM..