Asparagus & Red Onion Quiche Recipe
Asparagus quiche makes a lovely lunch dish and is delicious served hot or cold. Give it a try and let us know how you get on.
- Short crust pastry made with 6oz flour and 3oz butter
- 100g (4oz) Fresh blanched asparagus
- 225g (8oz) English Cheddar cheese grated
- 4 medium Red onions sliced
- 5 Eggs
- 100ml (3 and a half fl oz) milk
- 200ml (7fl oz) Double cream
- Salt and Freshly ground black pepper
- Grated Nutmeg
- Line a well buttered 22cm (8 and a half inch) flan dish with the short crust pastry and baked blind for 25 minutes at 190c / 375F / Gas 5
- Reduce temperature to 160c /325F / Gas 3
- Blanche the asparagus in boiling water for 4 minutes and refresh in cold water, then drain
- Saute the red onions in butter until soften for about 10 minutes. Place in a sieve and allow the fat to drain off
- Sprinkle the grated cheddar cheese over the pastry base and cover with the sauted red onions.
- Beat together the eggs, milk, cream and season well with salt, black pepper and a little grated nutmeg.
- Pour the egg mixture over the onions and cheese.
- Arrange the asparagus on the top of the egg mixture pushing it down slightly.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes until set.