Braised Red Cabbage Recipe
This is a lovely warming recipe with a fabulous aroma and the reason why I grow red cabbages!
- 1 Red Cabbage
- 2 Medium Onions
- 2 Cooking Apples
- 3 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- Salt & Pepper
- Garlic – 1 clove chopped
- Shred the red cabbage, dice and core the apples and slice the onions.
- In a casserole dish add a layer of red cabbage, seasoning with salt and pepper, then half the onions, half of the apples, half the garlic, half of the sugar and a grating of fresh nutmeg.
- Repeat the layers and finish with a layer of red cabbage on the top. Add the red wine vinegar.
- Put a lid on the casserole dish and cook in the oven for about 2 hours. 150C / 300F / Gas Mark 2.
It can be cooked for a shorter time in a large, lidded saute pan on top of the cooker, stirring from time to time and adding a touch of water every now and then especially if the apples start to stick.